Who we are ?
|UFS (Union Française des Semenciers) is the French seed association for seed companies & plant breeders.|
UFS, which was founded in March 2009, is a trade association which deals with Seed Industry and plant breeding promotion in France and Worldwide. UFS gathers 135 French seed companies involved in 3 key activities :
UFS gathers the companies that were previously members of the 6 federations and associations:
- FFSFG : forage plants & amenity grasses
- FNPSP : vegetables & ornamentals
- SPFGB : sugar beets & chicory seeds
For generations, Seed Companies have been contributing, through the breeding process, to the safety of the food chain and to the economy, with regard to sustainable development.
- Represents its members and their interests on the national and international scale.
- Makes proposals to public authorities and other parties, stands up for the positions adopted on issues common to their profession.
- Bases its positions on discussions amongst professionals, relying on technical analysis and studies if need be.
- Works in strong partnership with all agricultural and food supply chains.
Strengthened by the diversity and by the expertise of its members, UFS cares to develop a positive image of the Seed Industry’s activities.
The seed Industry – key figures
- French market :
- Turnover : 2.7 billion €, 316,000 ha, 10% of world market share
- European market :
- France 1st largest market ahead of Germany, Italy, Russia, Spain, UK, The Netherlands…
- 1st largest EU producer
- World market :
- France N. 3 behind the USA & China - (source ISF, june 2008)
- France 2nd largest exporter worldwide
- N. 1 for field crops (maize), and N. 3 for vegetables
- Global market size 26 B
- International seed trading :
- French export turnover = 1081 M€, a growing business
- French trade balance = + 601 M € : 16% of the total «French exports for agricultural products» (2007),
- Export rate : 50% for vegetables (200 M €), and 40% for maize (300 M €)
- French seed industry:
- 71 breeding companies
- 237 production companies
- 17,800 seed producers (farmers)
- 23,000 retail outlets (Coops, agri-supermarkets, trading…)
- 8 500 employees :
- Research : 26%
- Production : 47%
- Sales & Marketing : 14%